A Peaceful Place to Rest
West Hill Cemetery, Winchester
Julia Caroline Mary Mocatta
Matron Royal Hampshire County Hospital 1894-1900
d. 12 January 1932
Miss Mocatta was the only daughter of Reverend William A. Mocatta, Vicar of St. Helens, Lancashire, and a great-niece of Reverend W. Menzies formerly of Winchester.
She trained as a nurse at London University College Hospital. After a spell as Matron at the Charing Cross Hospital she applied for and was appointed to be the Matron of The Royal Hampshire County Hospital at a salary of £100 per annum. She served the Hospital well and made several innovations, the most notable of which was the introduction of a 'Cottage Nurse Instruction Course' aimed at giving untrained women working in Cottage Hospitals a grounding in basic nursing skills. This was subsequently dropped when she resigned in 1900. Reading between the lines she was a stickler for discipline and well understood the need for good hygiene. On leaving she was given an illuminated address signed by the Chairmen of the Governors and the Committee "expressing in fitting terms the high appreciation of the governors for her work for many years as Matron and Lady Superintendent of Nurses".
The Matron, Miss Mary Mocatta and an unknown doctor with the nursing staff circa 1897 By kind permission of The Royal Hampshire County
Subsequently she opened a private Nursing Home at No. 20 St. Peter Street, Winchester and some five years later took charge of the Sarum Road Nursing Home when it opened in 1911. A few years later she started the Grosvenor House Nursing Home in Southampton. She was active in the affairs of St. Michael's Church in Southampton and interested herself in other religious activities, serving as Hon. Treasurer of the Society for the Propagation of The Gospel. She was an active worker at the Southampton Refuge.
She died at her home at No. 5 Winn Road, Southampton after a short illness, aged 71. Her funeral took place at St. Michael's Church, Southampton before interment at West Hill.
(Hampshire Chronicle 15 January 1932; Healthcare Library, Royal Hampshire County Hospital, History of the Royal Hampshire County Hospital by Barbara Carpenter-Turner)
Captain P.H.T. Fellowes
The East Surrey Regiment (31st Regiment of Foot)
Chief Constable of Hampshire
b. 7 November 1851
d. 31 November 1893
Captain Fellowes was the only son of Major-General Fellowes of the Royal Marine Light Infantry. He attended the Royal Military College (now the Royal Military Academy) Sandhurst from February to December 1872. Gazetted to The East Surrey Regiment in June that year, he joined them in March 1873 and was appointed Adjutant in April 1880. He resigned the post of Adjutant in September 1883 and for the next five years served chiefly in Melbourne with the Victorian Military Forces where his services were highly praised. He held several administrative posts rising to the local rank of Lieutenant—Colonel in 1888. On his return to England he took command of his former Company then stationed in Co. Tipperary. He succeeded to the post of Chief Constable on 1 May 1891 having been selected from a field of 74 applicants.
His sojourn in Winchester was not to prove a happy one. Soon after coming to Winchester he contracted a long and serious illness caused by the defective drainage arrangements at the Constabulary Quarters where he lived. Worse was to follow when he had recovered sufficiently to return to work.
At about 10 o'clock on the morning of 2nd October 1893, Mr. and Mrs. Best were driving from Chilland to Mottisfont on the Romsey Road. Near the first milestone, their horse took fright at a frisky cow being led to Winchester Market, threw out the Bests and bolted back down the hill towards the City. Some constables outside the Headquarters formed a line across the road in an attempt to stop the runaway. At that moment Captain Fellowes walked out of the gateway and seeing what was going on joined the line with his men. The horse swerved towards Captain Fellowes and he was struck by the off-side shaft, the horse fell, the trap overturned and as an eye-witness stated the Captain, the trap and the horse seemed to be "all mixed up together". He suffered multiple injuries including a fracture of his right thigh and dislocated kneecap, a broken right collarbone and a bruised liver. For two weeks his condition gave grave cause for concern and then his general health started to improve. Then suddenly his condition worsened and at about 2 o'clock in the morning of 31st November he died. As his death had occurred within "a year and a day" of his accident an Inquest had to be convened. Having heard the evidence the jury found that the Captain had died from the internal injuries caused in the accident. Many attended his funeral. He left a widow and six children; two sons and four daughters.
(Hampshire Chronicle 2.December and 9 December 1893; The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment Museum).