A Peaceful Place to Rest
West Hill Cemetery, Winchester
Mr. William Whiting LRCP
Master of the Quiristers 1842 – 1878
b. 30 July 1823
d. 5 October 1878
William Whiting was born in Kensington and came to Winchester in 1841 aged 18 to enrol as a student at the Winchester Training School, one of the precursors of Pilgrims' School. The latter was not established until much later in 1931. The Census of 1841 records his age as 15; it also records that he was boarding at No.27 St. Swithun Street. His training was brief as in 1842, at a very early age, he seems to have taken sole charge, as Master of the Quiristers, of the boarding and education of these boys at No.5 College Street.
Mr. Whiting was a poet of some repute, his principle works being titled 'Rural Thoughts and Scenes' and 'Edgar Thorpe', but the writings by which he is best remembered are his hymns of which 'Eternal Father, strong to save' will be the most familiar. He was a frequent contributor to Church publications, and for many years held the post of Honorary Secretary of the Winchester and Hursley Branch of the English Church Union.
His death at the comparatively early age of 53 precipitated a crisis for the education of the Quiristers. William's daughter, Mary, taught them for a short time until other arrangements could be made. After a period of some turbulence the school eventually settled down in a new house at 64 Kingsgate Street. It was not until 1978 that the Quiristers were formally incorporated into the Chapter's Pilgrims' School, where they are instructed to this day.
(A History of The Pilgrims' School, John Crook 2n4 Edition 1991 p.21. Phillimore; The Wykehamist No. 121 — May 1878, p.167)
Colour Sergeant George Kilburn
20th Regiment of Foot, The Lancashire Fusiliers
b. 29 July 1816
d. 24 June 1897
George Kilburn probably enlisted in 1837 or 1838 aged about 22. He retired after more than 22 years service on a pension of 1/6d a day circa 1864. Where he was born and his connection with Winchester has not been revealed in the research carried out so far. What we do know about his military service is culled from the Medal Rolls of The Lancashire Fusiliers held in their Museum at Bury.
He was a well-travelled and much decorated soldier. His served in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Turkey, the Crimea, Egypt, India, Hong Kong and Japan. While in the Crimea he was taken ill with a fever and was hospitalised at Scutari, possible in the tender care of Florence Nightingale, who saved the lives of so many soldiers. He was probably in hospital at the time of the Battle of Inkerman because his Crimea Medal only has the clasps for Alma, Balaklava and Sevastopol. The full set would have included Inkerman. He also was awarded the Turkish Crimea Medal, The Indian Mutiny Medal with clasp 'Relief of Lucknow'. He also had the Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. In barrack room lore this is awarded for "21 years undetected crime". For some obscure reason the qualifying period for the cavalry at the time was 24 years.
He died at No.15 Upper High Street aged 81.
(Lancashire Fusiliers Museum, Bury: Hampshire Chronicle)
General W.C. Forrest CB
Colonel 11th (Prince Albert's Own Hussars)
b. 22 March 1819
d. 1 April 1902
Charles Forrest was the second son of Colonel William Forrest, an officer in the Bengal Army and The Honourable East India Company. Charles was educated at Eton and on 11 March 1836, at the age of 17, was gazetted Cornet in the 11th Light Dragoons, a precursor Regiment of the 11th Hussars (Prince Albert's Own). He was promoted to Captain in 1841. At this time he commanded the escort of the 11th Light Dragoons that accompanied The Prince Consort from Dover to Canterbury on his way to London for his marriage to Queen Victoria. There is a coloured print of this event in the Museum of The King's Royal Hussars in Peninsula Barracks.
On 1st March 1844 he exchanged into the 4th Dragoon Guards. In 1854 his new Regiment was ordered to the Crimea, and with them he took part in the Charge of the Heavy Brigade at the Battle of Balaclava and was slightly wounded in this action. He was present at the Battle of Inkerman, the Siege of Sevastopol and the action at Tchernaya. On the night of 19th February during the siege of Sevastopol, and in command of his Regiment, he was mentioned in despatches for his distinguished service in the action against the Russian outposts. He was awarded the Crimean Medal, with clasps for Balaclava, Inkerman and Sevastopol, the French and Sardinian Medals, and the Turkish Order of Medjiie.
In 1860 he was promoted Colonel and commanded the 7th Dragoon Guards with whom he went to India. Here he remained for several years, becoming a Major-General in 1868 in command of Cawnpore and Jubbalpore. His active military service ended in 1871. On his return to England he came to live at Uplands, now designated No. 42, Romsey Road opposite the prison, which was his residence until his death. He was appointed Colonel of the 8th Hussars in 1880, Colonel of the 11th Hussars in 1886. In 1877 he was promoted Lieutenant-General and in July 1881 was placed on the retired list with the rank of General. He was a Justice of the Peace and for a short period represented the Ward of St. Thomas on the Town Council. He was Deputy Chairman of the Royal Hampshire County Hospital.
He was twice married, firstly to Ann, daughter of William Penfold, of Loose Court, Kent, and secondly to Tempe Eleanor Mary, eldest daughter of Sir Frederick Falkiner, Recorder of Dublin. There seems to have been no issue from either marriage. His funeral took place at St. Thomas' Church, Southgate Street where he worshipped regularly. His memorial, a Celtic cross, is under a large tree and beside the railings on St. James' Lane. Two of his cousins served in The Royal Hussars (PWO), a successor Regiment of the 11th Hussars, between 1969 and 1982.
(Lummis Papers, The King's Royal Hussars Museum in Winchester; The Hampshire Chronicle)