This booklet is a description of the architecture of part of Jewry Street in Winchester produced by the Trust in 1984. You can read the individual sections on the Web, see below.
The illustrations and notes are arranged to be read in sequence, starting along the west side of Jewry Street from the junction with High Street and returning to finish opposite Barclays Bank.
Derek Dine, District Librarian, Jewry Street (photographs)
Hyde Resources Centre (inside front cover), Winchester City Council
City of Winchester Tourist Information Centre (back cover)
Basingstoke Gazette (front cover)
Stonehouse Development Company, Bath (page 8)
Arundell House Securities, Farnham (pages 6 and 7)
Hampshire County Council and
Winchester Preservation Trust Joint Sponsorship
Frank Chippindale, R.I.B.A. (Notes on buildings)
Sources of Information
City Library, Jewry Street. Telephone 53909.
Hampshire County Council Archivist, Southgate Street. Telephone 63153.
Hyde Abbey Resources Centre, Hyde Street. Telephone 68166.
Heritage Centre (Winchester Preservation Trust) Upper Brook Street. Telphone 51664.
Copy photographs of all the buildings in Jewry Street are available here.
Mid Hampshire Teachers' Centre, Elm Road. Telephone 62160.
References in the Jewry Street Library
Winchester 100 years ago by Mrs B Carpenter-Turner
History of Winchester Streets by T Stopher 1895
Report on Winchester Buildings by S J Garton 1962
Winchester Street Architecture by T D Atkinson 1934
Elizabethan Winchester by Tom Atkinson 1963
Winchester Seen and Remembered by P Stevens and D Dine
Winchester City Planning Brief - Staple Gardens 1981
The Lost Theatres of Winchester by P Ranger
Discovering Towns, Shire Publications
Winchester City Trail, Hampshire Architects
Other useful references
Street Directories from 1877.
Indexed Scrap books in Jewry Street Library (local studies section).
A Dictionary of Architecture. Penguin 1966 — N Pevsner.
Film Strip from Focal Point, 35 Cavendish Drive, Waterlooville, Portsmouth P07 7PJ.
It is surprising that Jewry Street has only one fire mark on its older buildings, as seen in St Peters Street and Kingsgate. The private horse-drawn hand operated fire engines attended only those buildings showing the Insurance Company firemark. Winchester replaced horses with a new motor engine in 1850. In 1984 the Sun Alliance Company intends reintroducing their firemark of 1710, for use on new buildings.